Friday, December 5, 2008

Sinterklaasavond (St. Nicholas' Eve)






This evening is called Sinterklaasavond (St. Nicholas' Eve) here in Holland. It's the evening before the St. Nicholas feast day which is tomorrow. They called this evening also as pakjesavond (present's evening) because now is the chief occasion for gift-giving here.

This evening, we found a gift in front of our door. It's for Mireille but we don't know who gave this gift. But of course here when kids receive a gift, they would expect it's from Sinterklaas. I'm thinking maybe it's from our neighbor but I'm not sure yet. But for now, I will call the giver Sinterklaas and I just want to say "Dank u wel" ("Thank you") for the gift.

Mireille was already sleeping when we found the gift, so I will just add the photos here when our daughter will open the gift.

By they way, she's a bit sick this week. Starting tuesday night, she got fever, then wednesday till today, she don't really feel good. I think there are two teeth coming out. Also she had common cold that's why I don't have a chance to go to school this wednesday and thursday. The doctor says it's common now the sickness here because of the cold weather now here in Holland.

No comments: