Thursday, August 27, 2009

De Jurk (The Dress)






Last Saturday, my filipina friend Cathy who is living in Schiedam (about 3 hours drive away from us) came to our house with her Dutch parnter, to bring some pasalubong... She just came back from Holland after her 2 weeks vacation in Philippines... And my family in Manila sends some small things for us here especially for Mireille... It made me proud that now, Mireille have her first jurk (dress) made by my Mama (as you can see in the photo)...

My mother is a dressmaker eversince and we grew up wearing clothes made by her, all our school uniforms from kindergarden to college level. And even on our teenage days when wearing casual dress or bestida (in tagalog) is not usual, she never get tired making clothes for us... not to mention all the dresses she made for me and my younger sister on special occassions like birthday, graduation day, recognition day or if we are going to attend special occassion.. And one of the special dress she made for me was my Wedding Dress...

As of now she still likes to make clothes and this time those are for her grand children like my nieces, Red and Steph... And the jurk (dress) for me daughter could just be one but for sure it's a VERY SPECIAL ONE... My daughter didn't realize yet that it was made by her Lola Berta but to see how proud she is when she wears it, could mean that for her it's also her special dress...

No comments: