Sunday, June 14, 2009

Filipijnse Buurvrouw (Filipina Neighbor)


Today, we have a sort of BBQ Party at the house of Klas and Ivy... They are living in another street near to where we live, but I always say that Ivy is my Filipina Buurvrouw (Filipina Neighbor) or kapitbahay here... We have another Filipina kapitbahay here named Rhoda, she is living with Pim (dutchman) in few streets away from us... Tina came also with her kids, she is an Indonesian friend of Ivy... Today was such a good weather and we really have a nice day at BBQ Party...

Ivy and Rhoda were not only my filipina kapitbahay here, they are also my klassmates in the Dutch language lessons in the school, but they sit now in another group... I'm in Level 2 group, Ivy in Level 3 and Rhoda in Level 4 group... Sometimes, mostly on Friday we make schedule to eat lunch mostly at Ivy's house... The typical food for lunch here is bread... but whenever we made the schedule to eat together in lunch, then for sure it will be Filipino food, like rice with sinigang na isda, dried fish, pusit, adobo or nilagang baboy... sarap!

I'm glad I have Ivy and Rhoda as my filipina neighbors here... talking tagalog, eating filipino food, talking over bringing-up the child in dutch and filipino way, talking about the reality that filipino culture runs in our blood and sometimes we have to combine it with the dutch culture that is around us.... of course, we are inbracing dutch culture the way we embrace our dutch husbands... Still, we may be streets away from each other but we are neighbors in a filipino way....

No comments: