Friday, August 8, 2008

Schoonmaken (Cleaning)


In the past two weeks i got the first job experience for me, here in Holland. And they call it here schoonmaken (cleaning work) in the office. In Manila it's popularly known as "janitorial service".

At first my brother (Jon) in Manila asked me if I can do it... I said "of course, it's only like cleaning your own house too... It's a simple job for me and so easy of course... just wiping the table, chairs, cabinets and windows, then cleaning the floor with the vacuum cleaner, emptying trash and cleaning the toilet as well.... It's not really loaded, just 1-1/2 hour a day (5:00-6:30pm), i worked as a reliever for someone who's on vacation and she'll be back next week. Still, I'm thankful for our neigbor named Renske, who helped me to have that job and it's nice because we clean together in one office...

I know everyone who knows me, will ask why did I accepted that cleaning job?...
Well, it's because for now, I'm not yet good in dutch language, especially here in the Province of Groningen, most of the job available needs dutch language, infact they even have their own dialect here (Gronings), so it's not easy to find a job with English language...
In other words, I have no choice... "I'm happy I don't need to talk dutch with tables and chairs while I'm cleaning them, or else i won't even have a chance to have this job :)"

By the way.... way back in Manila, I graduated "Bachelor of Science in Accountancy". I have 5 years experience of accounting work in private offices. Then the last 6 years I have, as Secretary of the Director in one of the Gov't Office in Philippines...

So... who would imagine that the next job I will have after those work experiences will be Cleaning job.... But for me, it doesn't matter, at least I would earn money even I'm not yet good in dutch language....

If someone would ask me how do you do with your job?
Well, I tried to clean and recall the time I'm working as Secretary before, then try to recall what do I expect from the janitor who's cleaning my table then.... just to make sure that I'm doing my job now.... "still at my best".

2 comments:

Gea said...

Mooie blog !!

Maar waar zijn de foto's die je hebt gemaakt ?

( Nice blog !!

But were are the photo's you make ? )

Marge said...

Here is the photo Mama Gea